Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chicken art, part 2

Creating oddly shaped maps is much more interesting than sticking with a plain old rectangle.



As I mentioned in my last post, there is an artist called cache who creates art murals in LA that many times contain chickens.



The murals are rather bright and cheery and the chickens are cute. Sometimes these chickens can be found carrying signs, I agree with the slogan on every sign I've seen.



Yesterday I went out with my camera and visited some of these chicken mural sites. It was fun! I felt like I was getting to know the city better. At one mural I saw a little kid stop his dad so he could gape at the chickens. Priceless.

The chicken murals, or at least some of them, change over time. Some of the pictures I took don't match up with what can be found in google maps. This element of surprise added a bit more fun to visiting these murals.

After taking these photos and recording where they were taken, I made the map below - it's projected and everything! The purple stars reference places where a chicken mural resides. The stars do not reference what mural is found at that location, for the sake of a little mystery.



In at least some of these murals more than one artist, besides cache, contributed artwork - I think. I'm going to focus on the chickens rather than the artist. Once I locate and visit five more places that contain chicken artwork, I'm going to add these locations to a map and create a new chicken graphic.

Cluckcluck

No comments: