Thursday, February 24, 2011

Safety Demon

Keeping it safe is a priority. If you're not keeping it safe, it's possible to bike to where you're going, but it's better still to arrive intact.

Driven by the fact that it's tax season, I decided to take on some tasks that have needed doing for, oh about three months, ten days and counting. Some of these tasks include passing the driving exam (it's 36 questions! doesn't that seem excessive?!) for California and getting my library card. Sweet!

This weekend I took my bike helmet, a bike light, some red duct tape, and combined these objects in such a way that my helmet would have a light on top of it and I would be more visible to oncoming cars while biking. This is where the safety comes in! I feel much more visible with the light on my helmet!

I couldn't help but notice that since creating my light helmet, I've been getting glanced at a bit more while I am biking. A notable amount more. I almost feel like I should create a super hero suit to go along with the light helmet... instead I've settled on creating an alter-ego when I go biking with my light helmet. When I go biking now I am officially... LA Safety Demon!

In the morning I get to make fun statements like:

"Safety Demon is going to work now," while putting on my light helmet.

And at the end of the day Bill will say, "bike safe, Safety Demon," just before I leave work for the day.

One aspect of Safety Demon is that her voice is much louder than my own usually gets. "Watch out!" "Wait!" being screamed at cars as I'm biking, all part of the Safety Demon persona now.

1 comment:

le_joli_chat said...

Hurray for bike safety! For superhero inspiration: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/grandmas-superhero-therapy-18