Sunday, May 22, 2011

Library visit

Yesterday morning I spent some time wandering about the Los Angeles Central Library in downtown Los Angeles - this building is several stories high, crowned with a pyramid, and contains millions of books. It feels like something of an event when I go in there.

I had actually intended to go straight to the gym when I left my apartment yesterday morning. I bike right by the library in transit to the gym, as well as to my job, rarely do I stop in. Yesterday proved an exception.

Biking up 5th on my way to the gym, I saw that the street was closed off for a few blocks. Think security people, barricades, and also two strips of rectangular hay bales. It was soap box derby day.

I had felt some interest in checking the derby out when I heard about it a few weeks ago. Until I dismounted by bike, too many people and barriers around to ride, and took in all the advertising on every tent and stand set up. Such a turn-off. The library was a block away though, and I was already off my bike!


Aside from millions of books, the Central Library also contains several appreciable works of art, including several groupings of objects hanging down from the highest ceiling of the library. The areas where these pieces hang down is open on all the floors. These objects, such as giant bird and book sculptures, aren't so unusual but mounting them on poles coming down from the ceiling, and making them giant, gives them a new feel. I wonder what material was used to create them. You can gaze at this art while cruising up and down the escalators to the different floors.

When I entered the library yesterday I took the escalators up two flights and cruised into the fictional books section. I stopped at a computer, which contains an electronic card catalog, to look up the location of a book I've been meaning to read. I couldn't remember the exact name of the book I was interested in so I decide to just wander the aisles, just as well.

I've got an unfashionable backpack that I take with me whenever I ride my bike. It's with me much of the time. Bike lock, gym clothes, notepad, water bottle, lunch... many or all of these articles are regularly situated in my bag.

I had my backpack with me at the library and I start feeling worrisome about the noise the bag makes as I walk about at the library. The... attachments let's say, to the zipper make clicking noises as I walk about. I never notice it anywhere but at the library!

Click. Click. Click.

While at the library I interpret that sometimes people glance up at me with a bothered expression on their face as I approach the cubicle or table where they are sitting, studying difficult concepts I'm sure. As I walked the aisles yesterday I did not notice any of that annoyance though.

I spent a while going up and down, up and down, the aisles, before deciding on two books to borrow. One of the books is set in Mumbai/Bombay, the other, in New York city. After gathering up the books, I head to the entrance to check them out.

There are these terribly appealing tables and chairs in some areas of the library, I enjoy seeing them, although I never actually sat at these tables. They are made of some sort of light colored wood, heavy, and over-sized.

I like to picture myself sitting at one of these tables, no all of them, I would rotate about, for a day. Reading and learning, enjoying the beautiful building. Yesterday was not the day though, I had the gym to visit.

No comments: