Monday, March 28, 2011

Hollywood Sign Hike

Today, marking the birthdate of Cesar Chavez, a civil rights activist who utilized nonviolence as a means to improve the lives of Hispanic farm workers in the United States, I got a day off from work. Fun! Even better that the day off is for a revolutionary relevant to today's happenings. Way to go California.

I briefly attended a rally at Pershing Square that union members staged in an effort to prevent cuts to the bargaining rights of unions - this rally was in response to the union losses that occurred recently in Wisconsin. It was held on March 26.


Tons of people were there. Very inspiring.

Bill and I walked up to the Hollywood sign today. My friends Roxanne and Fritz gave me a gift of 50 City Walks in Los Angeles just before I moved to Los Angeles. This gift consists of 50 cards, each about twice the size of a standard playing card. Every card describes a walk to take in or around Los Angeles. On one side of a card is the name of the walk and directions on where to start and things to see while taking this walk and on the other side is a map. Great gift! It's kept me going out and exploring.

I created a map of mine and Bill's walk, using the Hollywood Sign card that came with this gift as inspiration. In the map I made there are differently colored lines to indicate the steepness of the trail. As you can see we walked along below the sign, next time we will walk the higher trail!


The walk was fun and a bit strenuous at parts. There were a number of other people out enjoying the hike and we saw a couple of horses and riders.

"Lots of the people we've seen look really fit," said Bill after we had turned around to head back to the car.

"I agree," I said, "I've noticed that we must look like we're from downtown."

Meaning we weren't perhaps as geared up as some other folks seemed to be for hiking a dusty trail - that or we were just less trendy. Either way.

Here's a picture Bill took at the point where we turned around to head back.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Three cards down, 47 to go. I can't wait!